Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkins, Trails and Fundraisers at Nice Tri

As a corporate pilot and manager, I spent most of my time directing a flight operation and ensuring that required documents met or exceeded FAA standards.  When I wasn't flying a trip somewhere or fulfilling my administrative obligations, I enjoyed learning as much as I could about human physiology, performance and training.  I also started cycling and running as much as I was able and enjoyed performing well in local races, until one day I had an epiphany.


One day I will die.


That's not meant to sound morbid, but the last time I checked, there's a 100% chance that at some point, you will die.  The question then becomes:  "What are you doing with your life while you're alive?"  Is your goal to accumulate money, race wins, Ironman finishes, or do you long to do something more lasting and fulfilling?


In the Christian-based belief system, the Bible teaches that this life is not all about us.  It's not about what type of airplane we flew, how much money we made that we will leave to our heirs, but it's about relationships.


Human relationships.


That's precisely the reason that I formed Nice Tri and moved away from the "get all you can while you're alive" mentality.  I decided since this life is finite, I'd rather invest my energy into something that has lasting value.  My goal with my business was not to proselytize the world, but to get involved in other people's lives and use the business to help others.  I have been blessed with a successful business in a short period of time, and want to leverage that success for those who are less fortunate.  


It's time to put that belief into practice!


Sunday, October 23rd marks Nice Tri's first fundraiser event.  We'll be opening the trails around our 33 acres of land to runners and riders to benefit the Cured Foundation.  This is an excerpt from their website (curedfoundation.org): CURED is a not for profit foundation dedicated to those suffering from eosinophilic enteropathy, which includes eosinophlic esophagitis, eosinophilic gastroenteritis, eosinophilic colitis and other eosinophilic disorders.  It is the hope of CURED to raise substantial funding to aid in research and public awareness for this complex disease. Although the disease is being diagnosed at an alarming rate, very little is known about Eosinophilic Disorder. It is our heartfelt belief and mission that CURED can make a difference for the individuals and their families who are touched by this disorder.


Please come and join us for some trails, food and invest your time into something worth more than your 401k: Helping others!


We will be starting the ride at 5:30 until 9:00pm, and riders are required to have a headlamp, helmet and eye protection.  This ride isn't a "race", but we will have a special prize for the rider with the fastest "Hot Lap" around the course.  Come with your friends, enjoy some of the best cider, donuts, chili and trails in Ontario County.  Donations are not required, but are appreciated, and 100% of the money taken in will go to the Cured Foundation.


We'll look forward to seeing you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment